Baked Apples with Cherries and Almonds
Warm baked apples with cherries and almonds. Delicious and Nutritious. Serve it as a light dessert, or alongside roasted pork or pork tenderloin. (Low in Saturated Fat, Low Cholesterol, Cholesterol-Free, Trans-fat Free, Sodium-Free, Low Sodium)
(Make 6 serves)
Amount Per Serving (1 apple): 179 Calories, 2 g. Protein, 37 g. Carbohydrates, 5 g. Dietary Fiber, 4 g. Fat, 0 g. Saturated Fat, 0 mg. Cholesterol, 5 mg. Sodium
- 1/3 cup of dried cherries, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. of almonds, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. of wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp. of firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. of ground nutmeg
- 6 small apples (Golden Delicious, Rome or Granny Smith) , about 1 3/4 lb. total weight
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup of apple juice
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp. of dark honey
- 2 tsp. of canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss together with cherries, almonds, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in small-size bowl until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. Set aside.
- The apples can be left unpeeled, if you like. Core the apples and peel a 1/2″ band of skin around the middle of each apple to prevent them from splitting. Rub the peeled area with the cut lemon.
- Divide cherry mixture evenly among apples, pressing mixture gently into each cavity.
- In small-size baking dish, arrange apples then pour apple juice and water into baking dish.
- Drizzle honey and oil evenly over apples then cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake about 1 hour or until apples are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Transfer apples to individual plates and drizzle with baking dish juices. Serve warm.
Source : MayoClinic
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories - Bake