Basic Beef Stew with Carrots and Mushrooms
This classic beef stew recipe has all you expect in beef stew, super tender chunks of beef, carrots cook to perfection, absorbing the beef flavor and keeping its sweetness at the same time, they get creamy and melt in your mouth. Yet the cremini mushrooms are a wonderful surprise.
(Make 8 serves)
Amount per serving (about 1 cup): 303 Calories, 26.4 g. Protein, 26.8 g. Carbohydrates, 2.3 g. Dietary Fiber, 9.8 g. Fat (3.2 g sat , 4.7 g mono), 71 mg. Cholesterol, 494 mg. Sodium, 54 mg. Calcium.
- 1 Tbsp. of olive oil, divided
- 2 cups of small cremini mushrooms (about 1 lb.)
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour (about 1.5 lb.)
- 2 lb. of lean beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 tsp. of salt, divided
- 1 cup of dry red wine
- 1 Tbsp. of chopped fresh thyme
- 2 (14 oz.) cans less-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups (3/4”) of cubed peeled white potato (about 1 lb.)
- 1 1/2 cups (1”) of slices carrot (about 12 lb.)
- 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
- In large-size Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 1 tsp. of oil and add mushrooms, sauté until mushrooms begin to brown (about 5 min). Spoon mushrooms into large-size bowl.
- Lightly coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion, sauté until onion is tender and golden brown (about 10 min). Add garlic and sauté about 1 min. Add onion mixture to mushroom mixture.
- In shallow bowl or pie plate, place flour, then dredge beef in flour, shaking off excess. Heat remaining 2 tsp. of oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add half of beef mixture, sprinkle with 1/8 tsp. of salt. Cook about 6 min, browning on all sides.
- Add browned beef to mushroom mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining beef mixture and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1 cup of wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add thyme, broth, and bay leaf, bring to a boil. Stir in beef mixture. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until beef is just tender (about 60 min).
- Stir in potato and carrot. Simmer, uncovered, until beef and vegetables are very tender and sauce is thick (about 1 hour and 15 min), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
- Tip : White potatoes, not to be confused with baking potatoes, are waxy in texture and hold up well in soups and stews; you can substitute red potatoes.
Source : CookingLight
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories - Simmer