Beet Green and Feta Omelet
Cook up the greens when you get home to make a meal in minutes.
(Make 1 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 275 Calories, 7 g. Sat Fat, 3 g. Poly Fat, 11 g. Mono Fat, 385 mg. Cholesterol, 4 g. Carbohydrates, 1 g. Dietary Fiber, 369 mg. Sodium (does not include salt to taste), 16 g. Protein.
- 1/3 cup (about 1 oz) of chopped blanched or steamed beet greens (See below)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. of red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tsp. of low-fat milk
- 2 tsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 oz. of feta cheese, crumbled
- Toss chopped blanched beet greens with garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste in medium-size bowl.
- In another bowl, beat egg, milk, salt and pepper to taste until frothy.
- Heat oil in 8-inch non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat, when the oil is hot, pour eggs into the middle of pan, scraping every last bit into the pan with rubber spatula. Swirl pan to distribute eggs evenly over surface. Shake pan gently, tilting it slightly with one hand while lifting up the edges of omelet with spatula in your other hand, to let the eggs run underneath during the first minute or two of cooking.
- When eggs are set on bottom, sprinkle beet greens over the middle of egg and top with cheese. Next, jerk the pan quickly away from you then back toward you so that omelet folds over onto itself. If you don’t like your omelet runny in the middle, jerk the pan again so that omelet folds over once more. Cook about 1-2 min longer. Tilt the pan and roll omelet out onto a plate.
- Another way to make 2-egg omelet is to flip it over before adding the filling. Do this with the same motion, jerking the pan quickly away from you and then back toward you, but lift your hand slightly as you begin to jerk the pan back toward you. The omelet will flip over onto the other side, like a pancake. Place the filling in the middle. Use spatula to fold one side over, then the other side, and roll the omelet out of the pan.
- To blanch beet greens, meanwhile wash and stem the beet greens, bring a pot of water to a boil. Rinse in 2 changes of water to rid the leaves of sand. When the water comes to a boil, salt generously and add the greens. Blanch about 1-2 min, until just tender, and transfer to a bowl of cold water. Drain, squeeze out excess water, and chop. The blanched beet greens will keep for 4-5 days in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.
- To steam the greens, place them in a steamer basket above 1 inch of boiling water. Cover and steam about 2 min or until wilted. Rinse and squeeze out excess water.
Source : MARTHA ROSE SHULMAN
Recipe Under : 200 to 300 Calories - Stir Fry