Kickin’ off the summer right on time with this old-fashioned short cake is hearty and low in fat. The key to tender shortcakes is to not overwork the dough, so pat it out instead of rolling it. A portion of the blueberries is cooked with sugar and cornstarch to form a blueberry glaze that binds the filling. This dessert is best with fresh berries.
(Make 8 servings)
Amount Per Serving (1 filled shortcake): 322 Calories, 4.6 g. Protein, 60.1 g. Carbohydrates, 4.3 g. Dietary Fiber, 7.5 g. fat ( 4.7 g. sat , 1.8 g. mono 0.5 g. poly), 16 mg. Cholesterol, 1.9 mg. Iron, 354 mg. Sodium, 108 mg. Calcium
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 Tbsp. of grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 cup of chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of fat-free buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- 1 tsp. of water
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. of sugar
- 3 cups of fresh wild blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. of cornstarch
- 2 cups of fresh blackberries
- 1 cup of frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To prepare shortcakes: Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with knife. In large-sized bowl, combine flour, sugar, lemon ring, baking powder, baking soda and salt, stirring with a whisk.
- Cut in chilled butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk, stir just until moist.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, knead lightly 4 times. Pat dough to a 1/2-inch thickness, cut with a 3-inch biscuit cutter to form 8 dough rounds.
- Place dough rounds 2 inches apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Combine water and egg white, stirring with whisk, brush over dough rounds.
- Sprinkle evenly with 2 tsp. of sugar.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 13 mins, or until golden. Remove from oven, and cool on wire rack.
- To prepare filling: In small-sized saucepan, combine 1 cup of blueberries, 1/2 cup of sugar, juice and cornstarch. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 mins, until slightly thick. Transfer into large-sized bowl.
- Add remaining 2 cups of blueberries and blackberries, stirring to coat. Cover and chill.
- To serve:Using serrated knife, cut each shortcake in half horizontally, spoon 1/2 cup of blueberry mixture over bottom half of each shortcake. Top each serving with 2 Tbsp. of whipped topping and top half of shortcake. Enjoy!
Source : CookingLight
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories - Bake - Blackberry - Blueberry