Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings is just about the most delicious creation to ever come out of the deep South. Pure comfort food, of the highest order. You need a whole chicken cut into pieces and skinned. You can make the store-bought chicken stock taste more like homemade by adding some fresh herbs and parsley and simmering until it’s reduced by half.
Don’t be intimidated while it takes a little time to cook, it’s a beautifully simple dish. With beautifully delicious results.
(Make 8 serves)
Healthy Recipes Amount per serving (1 1/2 cups chicken mixture and 2 dumplings): 373 Calories, 35.9 g. Protein, 31.7 g. Carbohydrates, 2.4 g. Dietary Fiber, 10.1 g. Fat (2.8 g sat , 3.1 g mono ), 99 mg. Cholesterol, 725 mg. Sodium, 116 mg. Calcium.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/4 cup of dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of black pepper
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans of fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10.75 oz.) can of condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 lb. of chicken pieces, skinned
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch
- 2 cups of baking mix (such as Bisquick)
- 2/3 cup of fat-free milk
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- To make chicken, heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coated with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic, sauté about 5 min. Stir in sherry, salt, black pepper, broth and soup, bring to boil.
- Add chicken, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until chicken is tender (about 35 min).
- Transfer chicken from cooking liquid to a bowl, and chill about 15 min.
- Remove chicken from bones, and cut into bite-size pieces. Discard bones. Add chicken to pan, stir in peas.
- In small-size bowl, combine water and cornstarch, stir with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to pan, stir well.
- To make dumplings, combine baking mix and milk. Drop dough into chicken mixture to form 16 dumplings. Bring to a simmer, cook about 20 min, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook until dumplings are done (about 10 min). Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Source : CookingLight
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories - Green Pea - Mushroom - Onion - Simmer