Chili-Spiced Chicken Soup with Stoplight Peppers and Avocado Relish
This soup is delicious – hearty, yet not too heavy – and the avocado/cilantro relish on top is incredible. It gives the soup an intense flavor and creaminess that is perfect.
If you like Mexican food—tacos, fajitas, burritos. This soup is everything you’d find in a fajita in a healthy, tasty soup instead.
(Make 8 serves)
Healthy Recipes Amount per serving: 285 Calories, 27.2 g. Protein, 23.1 g. Carbohydrates, 5.5 g. Dietary Fiber, 9.6 g. Fat ( 2.1 g sat , 4.7 g mono ), 648 mg. Cholesterol, 773 mg. Sodium, 99 mg. Calcium.
- 2 1/2 tsp. of chili powder
- 2 tsp. of ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. of ground coriander
- 1 tsp. of dried oregano
- 1 tsp. of cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. of canola oil, divided
- 1 1/4 lb. of skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 2 cups of chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup of chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup of chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup of chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp. of minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 2 cups of fresh corn kernels
- 1 (32 oz.) carton of fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 tsp. of grated lime rind
- 3 oz. of queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 diced peeled avocado
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- To make spice blend, in small-size bowl, combine first 6 ingredients, set aside.
- To make soup, in large-size nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat, heat 2 tsp. of oil and add chicken, sprinkle 1 1/2 Tbsp. of spice blend over it. Sauté 8 until done (about 8 min), let cool, chop chicken, set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. of oil in pan over medium-high heat, add onion, bell peppers, garlic, and 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- Sprinkle vegetable mixture with remaining spice blend, sauté until vegetables are tender (about 8 min).
- Stir in chicken, corn, broth, and tomatoes, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 min. Last, add lime juice.
- To make relish, combine chopped cilantro, green onion, lime rind, quesa fresco, and avocado.
- To serve, ladle 1 1/4 cups of soup into bowls, top with 1/4 cup of relish. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Source : CookingLight
Recipe Under : 200 to 300 Calories - Bell pepper - Lemon - Onion - Simmer - Tomato