Buttermilk and lime add tang to this sweet frozen dessert while helping to keep the fat and calories per serving low. A favorite with both kids and adults alike.
(Make 16 serving)
Amount Per Serving (1/2 cup): 83 Calories, 1 g. Protein, 20 g. Carbohydrates, 18 g. Sugar, 1 mg. Cholesterol, 18 mg. Sodium
- 1 cup of sugar or sugar substitute (see Note) equivalent to 1 cup sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups of orange juice
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tsp. of finely shredded lime peel or lemon peel
- 1/4 cup of lime juice or lemon juice
- Green, orange, or yellow food coloring (optional)
- Combine sugar and unflavored gelatin in medium-sized saucepan.
- Stir in 2 cups of orange juice.
- Cook and stir until sugar and gelatin dissolve. Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 2 cups of orange juice, buttermilk, lime peel and lime juice. (Mixture may appear curdled.) If desired,
- Add food coloring to tint desired color. (optional)
- Transfer mixture to 3-quart rectangular baking dish or freezer container. Cover, freeze for about 4-5 hours, or until almost firm.
- Break mixture into small chunks, transfer to large-sized chilled bowl. Beat with electric mixer on medium speed for about 2 mins, or until smooth but not melted.
- Return to dish or container. Cover and freeze for about 4 hours more, or until firm. (Or, transfer mixture to a 4- to 5-quart ice cream freezer, freeze according to manufacturers directions.) If desired, ripen. Enjoy!
- Note: We recommend Splenda® granular or Equal Spoonful®. Be sure to use package directions to determine product amount equivalent to the specified amount of sugar. To serve, allow sherbet to stand at room temperature for about 15 mins, scrape sherbet from the top using a metal spoon. Spoon into dishes. Sherbet will not be as creamy when made with a sugar substitute. Makes about 7 cups.
- Variation: Citrus Sherbet Float, scoop 1/2 cup of Citrus Sherbet into a tall glass. Fill with 1/3 cup of diet lemon-lime carbonated beverage. Makes 1 (about 6 oz.) serving.
Source : Better Homes and Gardens
Recipe Under : 0 to 100 Calories - Lemon - Orange