Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
This zesty Cajun-style pasta is a pretty easy to make and versatile. The peppers and onions add a soft crunch to the pasta. You can serve quick-dish in 30 minutes or less. This meal is perfect with sautéed green beans.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
(Make 6 serves)
Amount Per Serving (about 1 1/2 cups each): 329 Calories, 25 g. Protein, 43 g. Carbohydrates, 0 g. added Sugars, 6 g. Dietary Fiber, 8 g. Fat ( 2 g. sat , 3 g. mono ), 50 mg. Cholesterol, 656 mg. Sodium, 691 mg. Potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value), Vitamin A (23% dv), Iron (21% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
- 8 oz. of whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
- 1 Tbsp. of canola oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tsp. of Cajun seasoning (see Tip)
- 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. of all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28 oz.) of crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup of reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup of sliced scallions for garnish
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook bacon and onion, stirring occasionally, about 2 min until beginning to brown.
- Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook stirring, about 4 min until onion and bell pepper are beginning to soften.
- Add flour and stir to coat.
- Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, about 2 min until sauce is bubbling and thickened and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream.
- Stir pasta into sauce. Serve sprinkled with scallions, if desired.
- Tip: We used a Cajun spice blend that contains salt. If you have a blend without salt (check the ingredients label), season the sauce with salt to taste.
Source : EatingWell
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories - Bacon - Bell pepper - Scallion - Stir Fry - Tomato