Creamy Leek Soup
This version of creamy leek soup use basmati rice instead of potato, and the results are delicious. This simple dish is a smooth, creamy soup that’s full of flavor and health benefits. From start to finish it took about an hour and at 191 calories per serving. You could add yogurt or milk or crème fraiche to this comforting soup if you wanted to.
(Make 4 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 191 Calories, 7 g. Protein, 34 g. Carbohydrates, 2 g. Dietary Fiber, 4 g. fat ( 1 g. sat , 2 g. mono 1 g. poly), 0 mg. Cholesterol, 62 mg. Sodium
- 1 Tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large leeks, white and light green parts only, cleaned and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups of chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 1/2 cup of basmati rice
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1/2 cup of milk, plain yogurt or a combination of milk and crème fraîche (optional)
- Chopped chives and/or croutons (For garnish)
- Heat oil in large-sized, heavy soup pot over medium heat, add leeks and a generous pinch of salt. Cook for about 5 mins, stirring, until leeks are tender.
- Add garlic and stir for about 1 min, until garlic smells fragrant.
- Add stock or water, rice, bay leaf and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 mins. Taste and adjust salt. Remove bay leaf and discard.
- Purée soup with immersion blender or food mill, or in batches in blender, taking care to remove the lid or take out the center insert and to cover with towel to avoid hot splashes. Return to pot, heat through, and add pepper to taste and a pinch of cayenne if desired.
- Serve hot or cold. If you wish you can thin out with milk, plain yogurt or combination of milk and crème fraîche. Garnish with chopped chives or croutons.
- Advance preparation: The soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Source : Martha Rose Shulman
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories - Basmati Rice - Leek - Milk - Yogurt