Eggplant and White Bean Stew
This simple dish is great for weight loss and also bariatric surgery friendly. White beans can help to curb cravings and block calorie absorption, while eggplant’s fibrous consistency makes it particularly satiating (you’ll feel full after just a small amount). In addition, the fiber in eggplant is slow to digest and takes a long time to empty from the stomach (so you stay full longer). Serve at a dinner party with warmed pita bread.
(Make 4 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 335 Calories, 54 g. Carbohydrates, 7 g. Fat, 16 g. Protein
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into small wedges
- 1 lb. of eggplant, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans of vegetable broth (no MSG)
- 1 (15 oz.) can of navy, cannellini, or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp. of tomato paste
- 2 tsp. of fresh marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley sprigs for garnish
- Heat oil in large-sized saucepan over medium heat, cook garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in eggplant and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Stir in broth, beans, tomato paste, marjoram, and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, until eggplant is tender.
- Serve with fresh parsley sprigs.
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories - Cannellini Bean - Eggplant - Onion - Simmer