Fennel and Spinach Soup with Roasted Pepper Yogurt
This soup is excellent and so ridiculously healthy. The roasted pepper yogurt on top made this soup rally zing. You can serve this light, bright-tasting soup hot or if you love the taste of fennel, serve this soup at room temperature or chilled. If the soup seems a little too thick after pureeing, add a few tablespoons of water to thin it out.
(Make 8 serves)
Healthy Recipes Amount per serving (3/4 cup): 96 Calories, 4 g. Protein, 13 g. Carbohydrates, 3 g. Dietary Fiber, 3.8 g. Fat (0.5 g sat , 2.5 g mono ), 0 mg. Cholesterol, 255 mg. Sodium, 73 mg. Calcium.
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, discard seeds and membranes
- 2 large fennel bulbs with stalks
- 2 Tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups of chopped leek (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup of chopped shallots (about 2 large)
- 1 Tbsp. of chopped fresh thyme
- 3/8 tsp. of salt
- 2 cups of fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup of fresh spinach (about 4 oz.)
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. of grated lemon rind
- 1 tsp. of fresh lemon juice
- Dash of ground red pepper
- Preheat broiler. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet, flatten with hand.
- Broil until blackened (about 15 min). Place in paper bag, fold to close tightly. Let stand about 10 min. Peel and chop then set aside.
- Trim tough outer leaves from fennel. Mince feathery fronds to measure 2 Tbsp. then set aside. Remove and discard stalks. Cut bulbs in half lengthwise, discard core. Chop bulbs to measure about 4 cups.
- In large-size Dutch oven over medium heat. Heat oil and add fennel bulb, leek, shallot, thyme and salt, cover and cook about 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, water, and bay leaf, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 12 min.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in spinach and black pepper. Remove from heat, cover and let stand about 5 min at room temperature.
- Pour half of fennel mixture into blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into large-size bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining fennel mixture.
- Return pureed soup to pan, heat over medium heat until thoroughly heated (about 2 min).
- In food processor, combine roasted bell peppers, yogurt, lemon rind, lemon juice, and ground red pepper, process until smooth.
- Ladle about 3/4 cup soup into each of 8 bowls, top each with 2 Tbsp. of yogurt mixture. Garnish with fennel fronds.
Recipe from CookingLight.com
Recipe Under : 0 to 100 Calories - Simmer