Hot and Sour Soup with Tofu
This Hot and Sour Soup with Tofu is very similar to the kind you would find in your favorite Chinese restaurant. It consists of a rich and thick broth with some spices, for more spice, stir in sambal oelek. It is also a great source of protein.
(Make 6 serves)
Amount per serving (about 1 1/4 cups): 110 Calories, 8.6 g. Protein, 10.1 g. Carbohydrates, 0.8 g. Dietary Fiber, 4.1 g. Fat (0.6 g sat , 3 g mono), 30 mg. Cholesterol, 445 mg. Sodium, 141 mg. Calcium.
- 1 (14 oz.) package of firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 3/4 cups of water, divided
- 1 (1/2 oz.) package of dried sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 cups of fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup of white vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. of less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. of finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. of sugar
- 3/4 tsp. of white pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. of cornstarch
- 1/2 cup of canned sliced bamboo shoots, drained and cut into julienne strips
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of thinly diagonally sliced green onion tops
- Place tofu on several layers of paper towels. Cover tofu with several more layers of paper towels, top with cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand about 30 min. Discard paper towels. Cut tofu into 1” cubes.
- In small-size saucepan, add 1 1/2 cup of water, bring to a boil, remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms, let stand about 30 min. Stir in broth, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, pepper and garlic, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer about 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- In small-size bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup water and cornstarch, stirring with whisk until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture, tofu, and bamboo shoots into broth mixture, bring to a boil. Cook about 1 min, stirring occasionally, remove from heat.
- Slowly drizzle egg into broth mixture (do not stir). Place pan over low heat, cook about 1 minute. Stir soup gently to combine. Sprinkle with green onions.
Source : CookingLight
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories - Simmer