Hot and Sour Soup
This hot and sour soup is packed with flavour and healthy benefits. It’s also great for those days when you was feeling under the weather. Served as is or over wild rice or brown rice. For a vegetarian version, leave out the shrimp and scallop, substitute fish sauce with soy sauce.
(Make 6 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 480 Calories, 45 g. Carbohydrates, 18 g. Fat, 34 g. Protein
- 2 qt. of vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 lime, zested
- 4 kaffir lime leaves (Can be found at Asian markets, optional)
- 3 lemongrass stalks (Can be found at Asian markets.), bruised and chopped in 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 lb. of small shrimp, shelled and de-veined
- 1/2 lb. of scallops
- 2 Tbsp. of fish sauce (Can be found at Asian markets, optional)
- 1 Tbsp. of tamari
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 tsp. of cilantro, chopped
- 1 red chili, seeded and slivered
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a heavy pot, combine stock, jalapeños, salt, lime zest, lime leaves and lemongrass. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer about 20 to 30 mins.
- Strain. Return liquid to pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Add shrimp and scallops and cook about 1 min.
- Stir in fish sauce, tamari, and lime juice.
- Add cilantro, chili, shiitakes, and green onions.
- Stir and pour into a tureen or ladle into individual dishes. Serve.
Recipe Under : 400 Up Calories - Chili - Cilan - Jalapeno - Lemongrass - Onion - Simmer