Jamaican Chicken Stew
This stew is full of lively flavors that combine to create a palate pleasing Jamaican-inspired dish, perfect for any occasion.
Make your chicken stew island-style with the addition of garlic, allspice, curry, red pepper, and black beans. Serve the chunky chicken mixture over steamed rice for a hearty one-dish meal and garnish with a sprig of fresh flat leaf parsley for a winning presentation.
(Make 4 serves)
Amount per serving (1 1/2 cups stew and 3/4 cup rice): 465 Calories, 38.5 g. Protein, 66 g. Carbohydrates, 5.9 g. Dietary Fiber, 5 g. Fat (1 g sat , 2.2 g mono), 66 mg. Cholesterol, 799 mg. Sodium, 101 mg. Calcium.
- 1 cup of uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 tsp. of olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. of bottled minced garlic
- 1 lb. of skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tsp. of curry powder
- 1 tsp. of dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. of ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp. of crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. of cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup of dry red wine
- 2 Tbsp. of capers
- 1 (15 oz.) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Meanwhile rice cooks, In large-size non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic, sauté until tender (about 3 min).
- In bowl, combine chicken, curry powder, thyme, allspice, red and black pepper.
- Add chicken mixture to pan, sauté about 4 min. Stir in wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until tender (about 10 min). Serve over rice.
Source : CookingLight
Recipe Under : 400 Up Calories - Simmer