Lamb and Eggplant Ragu
Lamb and eggplant packed with complex, hearty, earthy flavor that’s truly satisfying. Ground lamb is effortlessly flavored with fennel seed, oregano, and red wine. Toasted pine nuts and tangy feta cheese top off this wonderfully comforting end of the whole family dinner are excellent accents.
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
(Make 2 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 422 Calories, 20 g. Protein, 57 g. Carbohydrates, 10 g. Dietary Fiber, 10 g. fat ( 3 g. sat , 4 g. mono ), 37 mg. cholesterol, 343 mg. sodium, 795 mg. Potassium
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat
- 8 oz. of whole-wheat rigatoni, rotini or penne
- 4 oz. of ground lamb or lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. of fennel seed
- 1 1/2 cups of diced eggplant
- 1 tsp. of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 can (8 oz.) of no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1 1/2 tsp. of chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. of dried
- 1/4 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. of pine nuts, toasted (See Tip)
- 1/4 cup of crumbled feta, (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in large-size non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook lamb (or beef), garlic and fennel seed, breaking up the meat with back of a spoon, about 3-4 min, until lamb is browned.
- Add eggplant and oil, cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 min, until eggplant begins to brown.
- Add tomato sauce and wine, cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 min, until sauce is thickened. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta, serve topped with sauce and sprinkled with pine nuts and feta, if using.
- Tip: To toast pine nuts: Cook in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Source : EatingWell
Recipe Under : 400 Up Calories - Eggplant - Fennel Seed - Pine Nut - Stir Fry - Tomato