Lentil Stew with Ham and Greens
This Lentil Stew is delicious! It takes a little while, but it is so easy to make, thick and yummy. Healthy, too! The hearty texture and filling lentils will ensure that everyone leaves the table satisfied. Serve it over or sop it up with rough country bread.
(Make 5 serves)
Healthy Recipes Amount per serving (1 1/2 cup): 320 Calories, 20.4 g. Protein, 41.7 g. Carbohydrates, 15.1 g. Dietary Fiber, 8.6 g. Fat (2 g sat , 5 g mono ), 12 mg. Cholesterol, 943 mg. Sodium, 84 mg. Calcium.
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups of fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of dried lentils
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups of chopped Swiss chard, collard greens, or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped baking potato
- 1 cup of chopped smoked ham
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp. of dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. of dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. of chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté about 5 min.
- Add broth, lentils, carrot, and bay leaves, bring to a boil. Partially cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 20 min.
- Add Swiss chard, potato, and ham, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer about 15 min or until potato is tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, basil, thyme, and pepper, simmer about 10 min.
- Discard bay leaves. Sprinkle with parsley.
Recipe from CookingLight.com
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories - Simmer