Meringue-Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
This lightened-up take on the classic Thanksgiving sweet potato casserole is spiked with crushed pineapple and toasted pecans. We top it with an airy, slightly sweet meringue. You can pipe the meringue to make it look fancy or simply spread it neatly with a rubber spatula.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
(Make 10 servings, about 1/2 cups each)
Healthy Recipes Amount Per Serving: 196 Calories, 5 g. Protein, 29 g. Carbohydrates, 10 g Added Sugars, 3 g. Dietary Fiber, 7 g. Fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ), 46 mg. Cholesterol, 194 mg. Sodium, 361 mg. potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 1/2 lb.), peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. of brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. of ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. of canola oil
- 1 cup of low-fat evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 1 can (8 oz.) of crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup of chopped pecans, toasted (place in small dry skillet over medium-low heat and cook 2-4 min, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned.)
- 4 tsp. of dried egg whites (look for brands like Just Whites in the baking section of most supermarkets.), reconstituted according to package directions, or 2 large pasteurized egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- Place sweet potatoes in large-size saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer and cook about 10-15 min until tender. Drain well and transfer to a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch-square (or similar 2-quart) broiler-safe baking dish (A broiler-safe baking dish is one made of metal or earthenware. Glass baking dishes, such as Pyrex, may shatter under the broiler.) with cooking spray.
- In large-size bowl, whisk together whole eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, canola oil, evaporated milk, vanilla and salt until smooth. Add sweet potato, whisk until smooth. Stir in pineapple and its juice. Spread sweet potato mixture in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake casserole about 35-45 min or until heated through and the edges are bubbling. Set aside.
- To prepare meringue topping: Position rack in top third of oven, preheat broiler. In medium-size, beat egg whites with an electric hand mixer at high speed until they are stiff, but still soft enough to curl over when beaters are turned upside down. Beat in granulated sugar in a slow, steady stream. Continue beating until stiff peaks are formed.
- Spoon meringue into gallon-size sealable bag. Seal the bag, pressing out as much air as possible. Cut a 1/2-inch hole in one corner. Pipe meringue onto casserole, making marshmallow-size dots. (Alternatively, use a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch tip or spread meringue over casserole as if you were frosting a cake.) Broil about 30-90 sec until lightly browned, watch carefully so they don’t burn.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4; cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat, covered, in the microwave on High, before finishing with Steps 5-6.
Source : EatingWell
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories - Bake