Penne with Sausage, Eggplant, and Feta
This hearty pasta dish is made with meaty breakfast sausage, earthy eggplant, and zesty feta. Make sure to cook the eggplant until good and tender. You can use use whole wheat pasta and chicken sausage for a low fat, higher fiber option. Serve with some sauteed broccoli or side salad for midweek dinner and then pack the leftovers and reheat in the microwave for lunch the next day.
(Make 4 serves)
Amount Per Serving (2 cups): 535 Calories, 25.5 g. Protein, 67.5 g. Carbohydrates, 4.6 g. Dietary Fiber, 18.9 g. Fat (7.6 g. sat fat, 7.5 g. mono fat, 2.1 g. poly fat), 57 mg. Cholesterol, 4.5 mg. Iron, 884 mg. Sodium, 141 mg. Calcium
- 4 1/2 cups of cubed peeled eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- 1/2 lb. of bulk pork breakfast sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 tsp. of dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups of hot cooked penne (about 10 oz. of uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese (about 2 oz.)
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- In large-sized non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add eggplant, sausage, and garlic, cook until sausage is browned and eggplant is tender, about 5 mins.
- Add tomato paste, oregano black pepper and tomatoes, cook over medium heat about 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, place pasta in large-sized bowl. Add tomato mixture, cheese, and parsley, toss well
Source : EatingWell
Recipe Under : 400 Up Calories - Eggplant - Tomato