Rhubarb Pecan Muffins
Pecan is an excellent source of fiber and the nutrients thiamin and copper. Make Rhubarb Pecan Muffins for breakfast and as a coffee-time snack.
(Make 12 muffins)
Amount Per Serving (1 muffin): 144 Calories, 3 g. Protein, 26 g. Carbohydrates, 2 g. Dietary Fiber, 3 g. fat, <1 g. Saturated Fat, 0 mg. Cholesterol, 190 mg. Sodium, 133 mg Potassium, 50 mg Calcium
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 2 Tbsp. of canola oil
- 2 tsp. of grated orange peel
- 2 Tbsp. of unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup of calcium-fortified orange juice
- 11/4 cup of rhubarb, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. of pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
- Stir together with the flours, baking soda, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large-size mixing bowl until mix evenly.
- Add the egg whites, oil, orange peel, applesauce and orange juice in a separate bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. Add to the flour mixture and blend just until moistened but still lumpy. Stir in the chopped rhubarb.
- Spoon the batter into 12 muffin cups of, fill each cup of 2/3 full. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of of chopped pecans onto each muffin and bake about 25-30 minutes or until springy to the touch. Let cool about 5 minutes then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
Source : MayoClinic
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories - Bake