Shrimp Spring Rolls
(Make 2 Servings)
Amount Per Serving(2 spring rolls): 198 Calories, 10 g Protein, 34 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Dietary Fiber, 4 g Fat, 44 mg Cholesterol, 512 mg Sodium
- 2 cups of water
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (prawns)
- 1 oz. of cellophane noodles
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1/2 cup of carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup of cucumber, peeled, seeded and julienne
- 1/2 cup of Napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of bean sprouts
- 2 Tbsp. of fresh cilantro or fresh coriander, chopped
- 4 rice-paper rounds, 8” in diameter
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, halved lengthwise
Ingredients for the sauce
- 2 Tbsp. of hoisin sauce
- 1 green (spring) onion, including tender green top, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. of fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. of fish sauce
- 1 1/2tsp. of unsalted natural-style peanut butter
- 1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch of brown sugar
- In a medium-size saucepan, bring the 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium-size saucepan. Add the shrimp and immediately remove the saucepan from the heat. Cover and poach for 3 minutes or until pink and opaque throughout.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a bowl of ice water and let cool for 3 minutes. Drain and cut each shrimp in half lengthwise. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine the noodles and boiling water In a heatproof bowl and soak for 10 minutes. Drain and return the noodles to the bowl. Add the carrot, cucumber, cabbage, bean spouts and cilantro. Toss gently to mix.
- Place a double thickness of paper towels on a work surface. Fill a large, shallow baking dish with water. Place 1 rice-paper round in the water and soak for 30 seconds or until pliable. Carefully transfer the wrapper to the paper towels and turn once to blot dry. Arrange 1/2 cup of the noodle mixture on the bottom half of the wrapper.
- Fold the bottom edge toward the center and roll up the wrapper halfway, making sure to wrap tightly around the filling. Tuck 2 basil leaf halves along the inside crease of the half-rolled wrapper. Arrange 4 pieces of the shrimp, cut sides up, along the crease.
- Fold the right and left edges of the wrapper over the filling and finish rolling up. Repeat with the remaining wrappers, filling, basil and shrimp. Transfer the rolls to a plate and cover with dampened paper towels.
- To make the sauce. In a small-size bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, green onion, lime juice, fish sauce, peanut butter, red pepper flakes and brown sugar. Stir until well blended.
- To serve, cut the rolls in half on the diagonal and place on small individual plates. Pool the sauce alongside each roll.
Source : MayoClinic
Recipe Under : 100 to 200 Calories