Split Pea Soup with Rosemary
The additions of rosemary, smoked paprika, soy sauce and tomato paste give the classic soup a boost of flavor. This zesty soup is great served with warm rolls or French bread.
(Make 6 serves)
Amount per serving (2/3 cup soup and 1 teaspoon chives): 233 Calories, 13.7 g. Protein, 38.7 g. Carbohydrates, 4.8 g. Dietary Fiber, 3.5 g. Fat (1.1 g sat , 1.6 g mono), 4 mg. Cholesterol, 559 mg. Sodium, 65 mg. Calcium.
- 1 1/2 cups of green split peas
- 2 tsp. of olive oil, divided
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 1 cup of diced carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. of minced garlic cloves, divided (about 3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp. of minced fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1/4 tsp. of black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. of low-sodium soy sauce
- 4 cups of water
- 2 cups of Vegetable Stock or 1 (14.5 oz.) can of vegetable broth (If you use canned broth instead of Vegetable Stock, omit the added salt.)
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of low-fat sour cream
- Sort and wash peas, cover with water to 2” above peas, and set aside.
- In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 1 tsp. of oil. Add onion, carrot, and bay leaf, sauté about 5 min, stirring frequently.
- Add 2 tsp. of garlic, 1 tsp. of rosemary, paprika, and pepper, cook about 3 min.
- Add tomato paste and soy sauce, cook until liquid evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Drain peas. Add peas, 4 cups of water, Vegetable Stock (or broth), and salt to onion mixture, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour, stirring often.
- Discard bay leaf. Place half of soup in blender or food processor, process until smooth.
- Pour pureéd soup into bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup.
- Combine 1 tsp. of oil, 1 tsp. of garlic, 2 tsp. of rosemary, and parsley. Stir parsley mixture into soup. Spoon soup into bowls, top each with sour cream.
Source : CookingLight
Recipe Under : 200 to 300 Calories - Simmer