If you want a warming meal, I really recommend trying this Super-veg Pasta out. It is a super healthy, flavorful and filling meal. This versatile sauce freezes well, so it is worth making a double batch. You can blend the whole veg, if your kid doesn’t like them bits. The perfect lunch or dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
(Make 6 serves)
Amount Per Serving: 323 Calories, 12 g. Protein, 58 g. Carbohydrates, 11 g. added Sugars, 6 g. Dietary Fiber, 6 g. Fat (1 g. sat), 0.45 g. Salt
- 2 red peppers , quartered and deseeded
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot , roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon of crushed chillies
- 1 teaspoons of fennel seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of tomato purée
- 400 grams can of chopped tomatoes (about 14 ounces)
- 0.6 liter of vegetable stock (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoons of caster sugar
- Small handful basil, leaves shredded
- 500 grams bag of fresh egg pasta , cooked (about 17.6 ounces)
- Heat the grill and pop the peppers, skin-side up, underneath until beginning to char, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set aside. When cool enough to handle, peel off the skin and cut the flesh into strips.
- Heat oil in large-size saucepan and cook fennel, onion and carrot until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, crushed chillies, fennel seeds and tomato purée, cook about 2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, stock and sugar. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are completely soft, about 15 minutes.
- Take out a couple of spoonfuls of sauce (this will later add texture), then blend the rest in saucepan until almost smooth with a stick blender. Simmer until thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in reserved sauce, shredded basil and peppers. Serve with pasta.
This sauce freezes well and is really versatile so it’s worth making a double batch, then jazzing it up by adding olives or prawns. Plus, if your children don’t like the vegetable bits, you can just blend the whole thing.
Source : BBCGoodFood
Recipe Under : 300 to 400 Calories - Bell pepper - Carrot - Chili - Fennel Bulb - Fennel Seed - Onion - Stir Fry - Tomato