Vermont Cheddar Mashed Yukon Golds
Creamy, light, and tasty!!
Extra-sharp Cheddar and buttermilk add a tangy punch to these mashed potatoes. And, yes, we may be a bit biased, but we prefer Vermont Cheddar cheese.
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
(Make 8 Servings, about 1 cup each)
Healthy Recipes Amount Per Serving: 223 Calories, 8 g. Protein, 31 g. Carbohydrates, 2 g. Dietary Fiber, 6 g. Fat ( 4 g sat , 0 g mono ), 19 mg. Cholesterol, 425 mg. Sodium, 935 mg. potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat
- 3 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup of nonfat buttermilk, (or buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.)
- 1 tsp. of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup of sliced fresh chives, divided
- Place potatoes in large-size pot and cover with water. Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat. Cook about 20-25 min or until very tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from the heat. Drain well and return them back to the pot. Mash with a potato masher. Add 1 1/4 cups of cheese and stir until melted. Add buttermilk, salt and pepper and stir to combine. Gently fold in 3 Tbsp. of chives. Transfer to serving dish and garnish with the remaining cheese and 1 Tbsp. of chives.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To serve, reheat in a double boiler and garnish with cheese and chives.
Recipe from EatingWell.com
Recipe Under : 200 to 300 Calories - Simmer